Saturday, July 28, 2012

Life Is Fragile

Very rarely am I at a loss for words, but over the past week I have truly been speechless.  The senselessness of the shootings in Aurora, Colorado have left me pondering on the fragility of life and whether we are safe anywhere.  As optimistic as I am, it pains me to think of the frequency of these mass murders which seem to take place every time we listen to the news.  My heart bled when I heard the stories of some survivors and how they watched others die beside them. What is the lesson for us who are left behind?  I don’t know which lessons you have gleaned, however, I will attempt to list the ones I have learned below:

·         Life is fragile so handle with prayer.  Every time you leave your home may be the last time you walk through those doors, so pray that God’s presence be with you.

·         Tell your loved ones how much you love them.  Yes, this may seem mushy, but let them know how much you appreciate them (even the teenagers who don’t want to show affection) and often – because if you’re taken from them unexpectedly, they know how much you loved them.

·         Treat others with kindness.  When we are kind to others, we acknowledge them as being worthy of respect and also God’s handiwork.  It may be your last opportunity to do so.

All in all, nobody wins in a situation like this.  The alleged murderer and his family feel as much pain as the victims and their families.  It has been said that hurt people hurt other people, and it is my prayer that we are able to help some hurt people heal whenever the opportunity presents itself. 

I was just thinking . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment